by Jeff Ausdemore
- Crotales (2 octaves)
- 2 vibraphones
- 4 marimbas (low A)
- 4 timpani
- Synthesizer (string and piano patches)
- Drums — concert bass drum, 5 concert toms
- Cymbals — 2 suspended cymbals*, China cymbal, large swish knocker**, tam-tam
- Accessories — finger cymbals, triangle, bell tree, mark tree
* More suspended cymbals may optionally be used for added color if available.
** May be substituted for a sizzle cymbal.
Jeff Ausdemore describes Deinde as a forward-looking piece that simply asks, “What’s next?” The title itself is the Latin word for “next.” This programmatic idea is explored through a sensitive harmonic language, delicate textures, and a range of emotional development. Initially somber, a persistent groove builds into an optimistic, earnest expression of hope.
On a technical level, the piece explores simple four-mallet grooves, melodic accompanying lines, and a wide variety of textures. At times, individual members of the ensemble provide tasteful colors to the sound; other times, the full group reaches grandiose peaks. Deinde is a brilliant addition to any percussion ensemble concert, sure to touch performers and audiences alike!
Deinde ships as a printed, professionally bound score, and includes individual parts in PDF format for printing or for tablet viewing.